Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Review: Dancing Naked in Dixie By: Lauren Clark


Travel writer Julia Sullivan lives life in fast-forward. She jet sets to Europe and the Caribbean with barely a moment to blink or sleep. But too many mishaps and missed deadlines have Julia on the verge of being fired.

With a stern warning, and unemployment looming, she's offered one last chance to rescue her career. Julia embarks on an unlikely journey to the ‘Heart of Dixie’—Eufaula, Alabama—home to magnificent mansions, sweet tea, and the annual Pilgrimage.

Julia arrives, soon charmed by the lovely city and her handsome host, but her stay is marred by a shocking discovery. Can Julia's story save her career, Eufaula, and the annual Pilgrimage?

 
 
 
My Review:
 
I have seen this book plastered all over the blogs and even though I haven't read anything like this before, I was intrigued.  So when I saw it pop up on the circuit, I immediately grabbed and was not in the least bit disappointed in the read.  I instantly felt a kinship with Julia.  I'm never late to work, but other places?  Well...that's another story.  And even though organization isn't my strong suit, I get my stuff done.  Just don't try to figure out my system..lol..you won't.  And I swear that if  ADHD had been around when I was growing up, I probably would have been slapped with that title.  I have the hardest time paying attention.  Sometimes I truly wonder if medicine can help that.  So that's Julia in a nutshell, organized in her own way, flighty, commitment phoebe, lacks the will to focus, and hides all of her pain and loneliness behind a polite professional smile.  She has a glamorous career writing for a magazine that deals with travel.  So she travels the worlds hot spots reporting back with articles on the local attractions and out of the way quaint and quiet cafes in Rome, Belize, and Paris.  But all that comes to a halt when a new editor is brought on.  And surprise surprise, her next exotic destination is Alabama.   Alabama?
 
Wrapped in her New York fast paced, never sleep life, Julia has missed out on so much.  And it takes an unusual down-south family to make her realize just how many holes were in her life.  Sometimes we all get so caught up in the rat race we take for granted all that we have and the things we have achieved.  It took the span of three days, which she tried several times to cut short, to change her perspective on life.  Julia actually did some growing.  The best part is that you were there to watch her and understand that she is a walking disaster magnet.  LOL.  This book was funny and will definitely pull at your heart-strings.  I truly enjoyed reading this!!!
 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much, Nikki! While this isn't your typical hot romance (stay tuned for the sequel...) I am glad that the title and cover piqued your interest!

Thank you for featuring my novel on your very busy blog and I appreciate the heartfelt review. :)

All the best, Lauren

Anonymous said...

Loved this book!!

Disqus for Close Encounters with the NIght Kind

AddThis

Copyright Text